Electric Vehicle Charging at the NOC
***Please note, these points are currently out of use; the fault is being investigated by the installer.***
The National Oceanography Centre (NOC) installed an electric vehicle charging point as part of the government ‘Plugged in Places’ initiative. Two electric vehicles may charge at any one time onsite. The charge point is situated on the Southampton site (SO14 3ZH) and is publicly available for use for a small fee. .
The cost for use is 50p per charge (up to 8 hours) and advanced booking is ESSENTIAL to use the point.
Charging point available 0800 hours – 1700 hours Monday to Friday, during normal working days*. No overnight charging is permitted.
Please note that NOC is a restricted site and therefore you will need to leave site while your vehicle is charging, unless you have an appointment with a staff member at the Centre.
The Uni-link bus service departs frequently from the Centre, every ten minutes during the working day. This service links the Centre to the city centre, central rail station and the University of Southampton’s Highfield campus. Further details can be found on: www.unilinkbus.co.uk
* The charge point is unavailable for use at weekends, bank holidays and during University Closure Days.
How to Book Vehicle Charging
1. At least 48 hours prior to your planned charge please complete a booking form. The information you will need to complete the booking form includes:
- Contact phone number
- Contact email (for confirmation of booking)
- Vehicle Registration, make and colour
- Date of Charge
- Arrival time
- Estimated charge time
Using the calendar provided on the form please check that the vehicle charging point is available for your given charge date. The cost for use of the point is 50p per charge (up to 8 hours).
Once you have completed the booking form you will be directed to WorldPay, a secure online payment system, to pay for the use of the charge point. Please note no refunds can be provided in the event you do not use the point.
Once you have completed the booking process you will receive an email booking confirmation. Please remember to bring this with you on the day along with photo ID.
On the Day
2. On the date of charging, park in the designated charging bay and report to the Estates Helpdesk (Level 1 as you enter the building). You will need to bring with you photo ID, either a valid driving licence or passport, which will need to be shown to the Estates Helpdesk upon arrival along with your booking receipt.
3. Show your photo ID and booking confirmation to the Estates Helpdesk staff. You will then receive a swipe card which will allow you to access to the charging point.
4. Return to the vehicle charging point and swipe the card on the top of the charging point. This will unlock the socket cover at the back of the charging point.
5. Plug in your vehicle and re-swipe card to lock the socket cover. At this point the LEDs on the point will change from blue to green. Return card to the Estates Helpdesk whilst vehicle is charging. Swipe cards are not to be taken off site.
6. NOC is a restricted site.
Members of the public charging vehicles (Non NOC/University staff) cannot freely access the building. Whilst the car is charging you must leave the site (unless visiting a member of staff at NOC Southampton) and return once the car is charged. The Uni-Link bus service leaves NOC every 10 minutes running to various locations across town. Timetable details can be found here: www.unilinkbus.co.uk
NOC accepts no reasonability for damage or loss of vehicles left on site for the purposes of charging. Charge point users should ensure that vehicles are locked before leaving site.
7. Return to Estates Helpdesk to obtain swipe card, re swipe the card on top of the charging point to unlock socket cover, unplug your vehicle and re swipe card to lock the socket cover.
8. Return card to the Estates Helpdesk
Vehicle Charging Booking Form
How to find out more?
For further details on vehicle charging at NOC please email email@example.com