Irminger Sea Regional Science Workshop
November 8-9, 2017
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, U.K.
This workshop will foster coordination of international research efforts to observe, study, and better understand the Irminger Sea region. This is the second Irminger Sea workshop; the first was held in Boston, Dec 17-19, 2013. At that time, a number of efforts were in final planning or initial implementation stages, including the U.S. National Science Foundation’s global array in the Irminger Sea (oceanobservatories.org/array/global-irminger-sea/), OSNAP (Overturning in the Subpolar North Atlantic Program, www.o-snap.org), AtlantOS (www.atlantos-h2020.eu), and others. Discussions at that workshop lead to the refinement of some mooring positions and the addition of instrumentation to facilitate common sampling. At this point, roughly four years later, initial data sets have been collected and are under analysis, and plans are being developed for the continuation of programs.
- Summaries of present and planned observational, empirical, theoretical, and model-based efforts focused on the physics and biogeochemistry of the Irminger Sea region
- Presentation of results from recent observational campaigns
- Identification of key questions and hypotheses related to the physics and biogeochemisty of the region
- Discussion of sampling strategies to address those questions, including coordination of present, planned and new observational efforts
- Plans for collaborative analyses and publications
- Data sharing in support of coordination and collaboration
- Key overview talks, posters, and breakout sessions will be used to stimulate discussion and interactions.
- Attendance will be through invitation.
To register to attend please click here
Hotels available within the local area can be viewed here
Workshop Steering Committee:
Robert Weller (WHOI), Susan Lozier (Duke), Johannes Karstensen (GEOMAR), Emmanuel Boss (U. Maine) Penny Holliday (NOC), Femke de Jong (NIOZ), Susan Banahan (COL), Kendra Daly (U. South Florida)